OUR BRAND STORY
At Katla, we see beauty through nature to offer fashion for conscious consumers. Inspired by the raw nature of Iceland, we start with timeless style and create with luxurious, environmentally-friendly fabrics manufactured in accordance with zero waste principles. While exploring new design concepts, we blend beauty and sustainable ideas to introduce a new modern aesthetic for consumers to love and standard for the entire industry to uphold. Katla’s effortless silhouettes are where style meets sustainability, pioneered by practices made for the future that respect our land, its wildlife and its people.
OUR CONSCIOUS ETHOS
At home, in Iceland, beauty and sustainability go hand in hand. Inspired by the ‘Land of Fire and Ice’, we create beautiful, timeless fashion with the least environmental impact. By seeing beauty through nature, we remember to respect it and to value it. From innovative materials to zero waste manufacturing practices, we introduce a new and different way of creating fashion. For the love of our land, its wildlife and its people, Katla is committed to being part of the solution to reduce the impact of fashion on the environment.
OUR CONSCIOUS PRACTICES
The way we make our clothes says everything about who we are. We design with meaning. We select fabrics with thought. We innovate with intention. We partner with purpose.
It’s no secret that fashion has a waste problem. That’s why, we design with meaning in a way that is as beneficial to you as it is to our planet. Starting with timeless clothing styles, we create high-quality, lasting garments made for conscious women to wear often and to keep always. Next, we embrace a zero waste philosophy and operate with a mix of small production runs, and made-to-order manufacturing to ensure we only create clothes that will be used and cherished by real customers. The result is inventory that never goes to waste and personal purchases that stay out of our landfills for a happier environment.
Behind the clothes we make are a group of friends who share our purpose and who turn our fashion vision into a reality. They are our domestic and international manufacturing partners in LA and Arizona, as well as in Europe, recognized for their know-how, their approach to sustainability and their respect for high ethical working standards. We make it our responsibility to collaborate with awesome people who care about the safe and fair working environment of their teams, as well as their impact on the planet.
We blend innovation with transparency to offer a unique tracking number on the exterior or interior label of each item we sell. With this unique tracking number, customers can enter it on our website to learn all about the origins and history of their item. It’s our way of connecting consumers to the clothes they own. As they learn the story behind the fabrics and the people who made them, we hope to show the true intention behind the clothes we wear.
To create beautiful, timeless fashion with the least environmental impact, we thoughtfully-source fabrics and materials that respect the environment. To get there, we work with leading sustainable fabric suppliers from around the world and we set our standards high -- as should you. When considering materials through the lens of sustainability, we are able to find innovative solutions that are natural, biodegradable and made from renewable sources. Starting with the materials we choose, we weave sustainability into our business.
YOUR TURN: RECYCLE
At Katla, we see beauty through nature to offer fashion for conscious women. Inspired by the raw nature of Iceland, we start with timeless style and create with luxurious, environmentally-friendly fabrics manufactured in accordance with zero waste principles. While exploring new design concepts, we blend beauty and sustainable ideas to introduce a new modern aesthetic for women to love and standard for the entire industry to uphold. Katla’s effortless silhouettes are where style meets sustainability, pioneered by practices made for the future that respect our land, its wildlife and its people.
WE’RE SERIOUS ABOUT CHANGE
Katla is built on the core values of respect for people, animals and the environment. When we started setting up the business we realized that we were in a fortunate position to not have to deal with legacy problems one at a time. Instead, we had a clean slate and could design and build the business right from day one.
And we don´t ask you to simply take our word for it. We have built a system that provides complete transparency into our full supply chain and those that are impacted throughout it.
Our commitment to people relates to the individuals that work for us and throughout our supply chain; to the people impacted by external factors related to our production and our customers
- We are committed to creating a diverse workplace where individuals feel free to express their opinions and individuality
- We will ensure that all workers involved in our supply chain are paid a living wage and work under safe conditions
- We will not use dyes or production methods that put communities at risk
- We are committed to an inclusive approach in our merchandise offering and the way we communicate our brand
We are committed to a kind approach to animals. This includes:
- No animal leather in our product selection
- No fur in our product selection
- No animal products that have been derived from animals that have been mistreated (e.g. no wool from sheep that have undergone mulesing)
We are committed to minimizing the impact our products have on the environment.
- Design – We design products based on input from our customers. We want to ensure that the product we are designing and manufacturing is actually what our customers will love. Our timeless and high quality take on fashion will allow our customers to keep the items they buy from us and wear them again and again
- Fabric selection – We carefully select the fabrics we use to minimize environmental impact. We focus on natural and organic fabrics and in the case of synthetics (which are for example important to achieve the most flattering fit of your yoga pants) we ensure that they are recycled
- Production – We do small production runs to ensure that we hold minimal levels of inventory. We want to make sure that we are only producing what will actually be sold and used by our customers. Our partnership with cutting edge manufacturing partners that are able to make our garments in 24-72 hours allows us to maintain a large part of our business as a made-to-order business.
- Garment treatment - In the case of synthetics, our garments come with a bag that you should place them in while washing them. This will help eliminate the amount of microfibers going into the water. Additionally, we avoid fabrics that require dry cleaning.
- Recycling – We want to do our part to ensure that our garments do not end up in landfill after customers stop using them. We encourage you to send back your items after you stop using them. Contact us and we will provide you with a return shipping label and each time you return an item we will provide you with a credit towards your next purchase on the site. Returned items will be sent to the original fabric mills for recycling wherever possible or alternate methods for recycling or reuse deployed.